Saturday, October 4, 2008

Googling FUN!

So, lets take a trip back home. (From Dallas to Detroit.) I'm sure things have changed a great deal since I have lived there, three years ago. The economy is not doing well, especially in Michigan, so I'm sure many places I remember, no longer exist. So lets see what DOES exist!

Okay, so this is what I googled: Walled Lake Michigan (where I'm from) arcades.



These are the results:



I clicked on the third link, something along the lines of Arcades in Novi. This is what came up:



Notice the map in the upper right area of the screen? The shaded number (4)- that is where Marvin's is located. You can see surrounding cities, Wixom, Novi, Northville, South Lyon, Livonia, Redford etc. That map gives you a good idea of what areas surround a specific town or city you will visit. So if you're going somewhere you have never been before, it helps guide you to other cities in the area. The listing (number 4) also gives you ratings, comments, and detailed information, such as address, phone number and the companies website.

When I clicked on the name of the company, in this case, Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum- this is what came up:



A VERY detailed map. Showing the location being at the cross roads of Orchard Lake Road and West 14 Mile Road. Looks like the green area may be a shopping mall. Again you'll see the same information as before. Detailed address (and location this time), phone number, website, etc.


A while ago they aired a special on The History Channel about Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum. I tried searching it on Google, as well as The History Channels website, however I wasn't able to find that episode in specific. So I'll check YouTube. This is what I found when searching YouTube:



58... that's right, FIFTY EIGHT videos all taken at Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum. (Which was where Alex and I had our first 'date.') haha.

This guy has been there since I can remember:



Kind of fun. Anyways! I was able to search arcades in Detroit. In searching other websites (YouTube) I was able to see videos, ratings and comments other people left on videos talking about their experiences there.

Till next time... I hope you enjoyed learning how the internet can help in planning a FUN filled vacation! Next week, I'll pick a city I don't know! Any suggestions, let me know. Want to test my skills- tell me your city! I'm up for the challenge!

Hope you're all having a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.